StatCounter

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Dinner at Newton Circus Food Centre - 21 Feb 2011

SJI Prefect Exo with Ms Ang - Dinner at Newton Hawker Centre

It's been over a year since I met up with the Prefect Exco for a meal. Hence on 21 February 2011, a Monday night, I headed to Newton Circus Food Centre to meet up with the Josephians.

As one enters the Newton Food Centre, I was immediately confronted with a whole row of stalls selling all sorts of foods. Wandering around the food centre, one will find many more rows of stalls, and quite likely, will be at a loss as to what to eat and how to order it.

Luckily, we didn't have to fret what to eat as Jianhao knew the food to order. Seems like he is the "small boss" of Newton. Roderick, Marcus and Jianhao were there first. We had the carrot cake and popiah while waiting for Agung and Michael. Michael met Agung who was coming from NTU. By the time they arrived, it was around 8.10pm.


Fried Carrot Cake

Delicious Popiah



Sugar Cane Drink

The plates of food came streaming in. In total we had 5 popiahs, 2 drinks each, carrot cake, chilli lala, 2 stingrays, sambal kangkong, fried rice and 60 sticks of satay. Each of us paid $20 each. Good spread of food and great company.


Chilli Lala - Clams

This plate of LaLa is pretty addictive. The sauce is a bit spicy but the Lala is just so chewy. Something different from the seafood dishes that we usually eat.


Stingray

I still love the stingray they have at Marche. Not a person who takes hot stuff, I always make an exception for stingray. We ordered 1 chilli stingray but 1 stingraythat was partially hot and the other side that was not hot. For the latter, there was a seperate plate of chilli.

Fried Rice

The Fried Rice was the staple food of the evening. It was the one of the first few dishes to see an empty plate.

Sotong

Sotong was nice, we were too full to finish off the entire dish. Hope we don't end up being too blur after this dish.

Sambal KangKong

The vegetable dish that was the greens of the day.


60 sticks of satay


Satay & Gravy

60 sticks of satay, yap, that's what we ordered. We were supposed to have 10 sticks, but at the end of the day, I only had 7 sticks, so did Michael. We encouraged Agung not to waste food and complete the remaining sticks of satay. There were 3 remaining sticks at the end of dinner.


Agung, Pat, Roderick,Michael, Jianhao and Marcus

It was great catching up with Josephians and good to know all of them are doing well. We'll catch up again before Mike flys off for his course abroad. Jianhao, thanks for organising. Stay in touch guys! Study hard. Ora Et labora.        

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ms Ang,

    1. Can't believe you remembered how many sticks of satay I devoured. :X

    2. I like the introductory paragraphs of your post because it gave me a sense of the labyrinth of food shops and tables as one enters Newton.

    3. However I thought it would be good to add a bit more distinction on how different the food tasted:

    Like how the stingray without garnishing had a slightly salted outer-layering. Personally, I felt that it tasted better than the spicy-flavoured stingray because the lack of spice allowed me to appreciate the taste of the fish meat.

    I also found the satay less fatty than usual; each stick I had came without the usual slabs of fat inbetween chunks of meat. The meat wasn't burnt and slid off the stick easily with one bite without having to gnaw or pull vigorously.

    I did feel that the satay sauce was nothing special. I prefer heavier, thicker sauces with more grated nuts. The sauce we had that night was quite thin and (maybe) diluted to a certain extent? Didn't stick to the meat as well as I had hoped.

    Loved the sotong. Tasted fresh and yums. Kept picking at it; and perhaps yes I was too blur by the end of it because I completely forgot that I had exceeded my parking ticket timing.

    :) Till our next gathering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi mike, well commented, I will try to go in depth of the food next time. :)

    ReplyDelete