StatCounter

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Konpirasan ( part 1)

Kompirasan, formally known as Kotohiragu, is the main shrine of multiple Kompira shrines found around Japan that are dedicated to sailors and seafaring. 
Located on the wooded slope of Mount Zozu in Kotohira, the approach to Kompirasan is an arduous series of 1,368 stone steps.
This has to be for me the most challenging highlight of my Japan trip in June. We were told to ascend and descent the 1000 odd steps within an hour. I nearly didn't couldn't make it, but I did. Let me share with you how I overcame this.
We all started walking in groups, those who were faster were miles ahead. We paced ourselves with the ascent, using the sticks to aid us. I was with Gina, who was busy chatting and taking photos. Eventually I followed a few others to pace with them.
Despite being among the more challenging shrine approaches in Japan, Kompirasan is a highly popular site visited by pilgrims from across the country.

Scenic View

Enjoying the view but started to climb up at a slower pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment